11.19.2012

FRAG: Mighty Monster

1. Mighty Monster
I'm not doing Mexico.  If we do this, I'll start scratch.
The lawyer says it being an orphan story appeals to your readers and so the beginning won't be so bad.  But I wasn't an orphan.  That's all a work.  My mother was a dancer.  She and her sisters as children dancing in rich peoples' parlors.  This was Fall River.  Show people from way back.
She could sing too.  Her mother was a singer.  Her father played the git-fiddle, a mean Portuguese named Coelho.
He puts the girls on stage opening for he and the old lady and by the time they're teens they're headlining and he's the opening act.
The Three Cole Sisters.
The Coelho Sisters all red haired beauties with golden skin.  You might not know this, but when these Portuegese mixed with the Irish is when girls from Fall River got famous for their looks.  And boys from Fall River all built out of blocks.  Don't punch a half Portuguese-Irishman in the mouth.  To the body, to the body.  I'm a fighter.  But I was a dancer first.  All dancers.
The Coelho girls got so popular Coelho sold the act to another showman named Bully Heinick who my mother's sisters told me they were happy for as he was so much the nicer compared to their father who beat them and their mother often.
Bully Heinick nice.  I'd say so.  Real sugar this man.  A handsome man.  My mother was named Virginia Cole Heinick.  Bully named her the best legs in Fall River.  Aunt El said she was Bully's favorite.  But she might of said it for my benefit with what happened.  Bully named Aunt El The Spitfire Songbird of the West.  West of Bristol County I guess.  My Aunt Jolene he named something I'm forgetting but a comedian he made her be.  She was funny when I was a boy, and funnier when I met her later on.  The act was: Bully hosted, a song with El, a dance, Jolene's routine with Bully her straight man, a dance, and when the hour was late enough my mother did the burlesque routine.
Heinick takes them out of Fall River back to Oneida, New York where he was from.  They work every fair, farm, beer and kraut garden, Syracuse to Buffalo.  Heinick renames them the Dancing Colettes.  A year into booking their show he made wives of all three.  My Aunt El was eighteen.  The oldest of them.  She said the work was Heinick was their widowed father.  An easy story when you're father had been your manager before.  But these are show girls.  They play along.
El told me Heinick slept with her and my mother, but not Jolene at first because she was fourteen and young for it.  She told me she didn't mind it because she loved him and on account she was the oldest she thought she would be his legitimized wife when the time came.  I asked her what my mother thought of it.  She said my mother didn't think much of it until Heinick knocked her up with me.  And then she was happy.  But Heinick wasn't happy.
.........................
Forget that.  Let me tell you about Mexico.  There's no kayfabe anymore.  I'll tell you I was there the night Monster Hicks died.  I had wrestled the opener against the man that killed him.

0 comments: