4.27.2011

150 WORD STORY: One Where the Old Janitor Speaks to the Young Janitor on the Nature of Love


Teddy was ornery.  
"Spit it out." William said.
"This job's not enough money."
"This job's nothing to be ashamed of."
"Stacey says it is."
"I had a wife like yours.  Not a solid chick."
"What happened?"
"I got a new one."
"Nice."
"You'll learn.  A woman isn't there for your self-esteem; esteem's the currency you trade them for time.  I like smelling shampoo in their hair.  You go out, knock around for purpose, enough to meet with one, and here; here's what I got, count the coins -- can I hold your hand?  Don't cry to the wrong one, Why not me?: the right ones trade shampoo for dirt on your wrists.
"I'm supposed to find one who likes janitors?"
"There's a lane for you, Ted.  A good one anchors your heart so you don't go to work with butterflies."
"Will."
"Yes?" 
"I gave my notice."

0 comments: